Sunday, September 4, 2011

'Baby' Science or Confessions of a Curriculum Junkie

I purchased two Singapore Science programs to use in conjuction with our Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (BFSU) curriculum.  What can I say?  CKW likes science workbooks! 

We had already started with the BFSU K-2 curriculum, so I purchased Singapore's Earlybird Start Up Science 1,2,3,4 for him to do this year, planning to move onto their My Pals Are Here! (MPH) program for 3/4 (one set) the next two years, and then continue onto 5/6 (one set) afterwards.  I thought I had it all figured out...  Yeah Me!

Whoa!  Not so fast...  The Earlybird program states that it is for grade one/two students, and because I had read numerous times how challenging the Singapore math program was, I felt safe buying it sight unseen.  Live and learn I guess... 

The booklets are cute, colourful and well illustrated, but I'm finding this program to be more suited to a Kindergarten/grade one level and they would probably be more interesting to students who are not very strong and/or interested in science.  I'm expecting CKW to finish them up well before Christmas (we are going to finish them before starting into MPH 3/4), but I have had nothing but complaints from the peanut gallery about the 'baby' science books that I bought him.  I think these booklets would be great for children as an introductory science curriculum, but for a science fiend like CKW, who's spent the last three years reading everything about science that he could get his hands on, it's more then just a little bit light.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment