Monday, August 29, 2011

Wants and Needs

Today we worked on our Moving Beyond the Page curriculum.  We are going ahead with the 6-8 level and the first concept is Community.  Unit one of this concept is Communities Around the World and today was Lesson Four: Wants and Needs. 

CKW's favourite part of the day was making a Wants and a Needs collage.  As soon as I mentioned that he would need to go to the arts & crafts centre to get the scissors and glue, he literally screamed out "COLLAGE!"  The poor boy is well aware that I am not very artsy and I think he was afraid that he was going to miss out on all the fun stuff. 

So, without further ado, here they are!


He needs healthy food (berries), water (he said preferably not bottled, but he couldn't find a picture of a tap), shelter (that's quite the house), clothing (looks suspiciously like paddock boots to me), medical care (rabies vaccine from one of my veterinary magazines!), and then...  then I saw the picture of the Kardashians!  WTH?!  We don't watch much television, and what we do watch certainly isn't that show!  However my fears were put to rest when he said he didn't know who those people were, but it was the only picture of a family he could find and he knows we all need luvins!


Apparently he wants a car, an ipad, junk food (pop and pizza) and a really good cross-country horse.  Unfortunately, the horse in the photo looks very much like the one who kicked me in the head, so he'll have to stick with his pony for now.

We spent a lot of time discussing domestic and international poverty and what we can do, both as individuals and as a country, to help those in need.  Now that's what I like about MBtP!  I might not have thought to bring these topics into the curriculum on my own ("Just the facts, ma'am"), but important issues like these are definately things that I want to take the time to discuss with CKW, as soon and as often as possible.   



1 comment:

  1. Ugh, there are those magazines. Mighty impressed that you had them!

    ReplyDelete