Friday, August 19, 2011

We're Canadian, Eh?

Our main social sciences curriculum Moving Beyond the Page is American, and as you have probably guessed by the title of this post (if you haven't read my little bio blurb thingie), we are Canadian.  Therefore I've been spending quite a bit of time trying to find a curriculum for Canadian history, geography and civics that is secular and at an elementary school level.  Not as easy as you might think!

This is what I've been able to come up with, thanks to several Canucks on The Well-Trained Mind forums.  Our main curriculum was purchased from Northwoods Press and was written by Donna Ward.  They are workbooks, and I didn't purchase the curriculum bundles, but I think they will work just fine for what we are going to be studying at this stage.

Our geography spine will be Canada, My Country and I purchased several books to go along with this curriculum, including several books from Kids Can Press.  Looking through, the spine seems secular and although we both find geography to be a bit of a slog, I think we can make this into something 'fun'.





 
For history, I also chose author Donna Ward, and purchased her Courage and Conquest: Discovering Canadian History as our curriculum spine.  Along with the highly recommended The Story of Canada by Janet Lunn and others, I think we will do okay with this topic as well!







No comments:

Post a Comment