Monday, August 22, 2011

Moved Into the 'Finished' File

Today we finished up our first two Intellego unit studies:   K-2 World History, Volume 1: In The Beginning and K-2 Geography: Maps.

CKW really enjoyed making a treasure map and hiding a chewed up dog rawhide in his bedroom for me to 'discover'.  We also dug quite deeply into geographic and magnetic north pole and managed to veer off into the science of magnets for a couple of days, something neither of us much minded!  Finishing up today we watched a National Geographic documentary on oceans/ocean life and have been discussing how to save the world's oceans ever since.  The actual geography in this unit was a bit basic for CKW's taste, but it's the rabbit trails that I/we find most interesting with these unit studies. 


Volume one of world history was primarily prehistory (which I have already written about) but we spent last week and today working on the third chapter in the unit, Mesopotamia.  I've been using several Dorling Kindersley books for social sciences and we both especially enjoy The History Book for kids.  It's "a trip through history from the stone age to the digital age".



We had read about Mesopotamia when we first started out with The Story of the World (SOTW), so a lot of it was repetition, but we enjoyed making a cuneiform tablet to keep track of our barley trading (don't ask) and then we spent a couple of days reading about the adventures of Gilgamesh and contrasting those with tales from the bible.  I was going to leave the in depth study of world religions until quite a bit later, but I know where this is heading...  So off to CurrClick I go for the Intellego unit study of World Religions!   


We are really enjoying our new Moving Beyond the Page curriculum, and this has caused us to put our Intellego unit studies somewhat onto the back burner.  However, when we do make time to use them, we always enjoy ourselves!  Most of them are supplementary fun for us, but they could easily be used as a main curriculum spine, especially if you make time to follow all the rabbit trails found while investigating the main ideas presented.  I noticed that they are planning to come out with an Evolution unit study for K-2 this fall and I am definately going to pick that one up as well. 


Afterall, we just finished up two units, so that's reason enough to get two more, right?

    

2 comments:

  1. Of course! I can say that now that I am a recent convert to and enthusiastic cheerleader for Intellego :) I'll be interested to read what you think of the World Religion one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may not let him start that one until I get my chocolate bars and gum! ;)

    ReplyDelete